Friday, June 22, 2007

Sony Ericsson k850: take 1

Revolutionary? Excepting the camera, you can't bet on it.

OK, so it has a 5-megapixel camera. And...

Pretty much nothing that sets it apart from the other numerous Sony Ericsson phones. Now, I don't want to make it sound like I've been drinking some haterade, because I actually like Sony Ericsson. After purchasing a w600i, they've made me a fan. So, what have I got against this hyped-up k850?

It follows too closely to the looks of the other phones.


source: http://www.newlaunches.com/entry_images/0607/15/Sonyericsson_K850_7.jpg

Doesn't it remind anyone else of the w810? Now, I realize that the w810 is possibly the most popular Sony Ericsson phone out there; and I don't mean to insult any of you, but it's not exactly easy on the eyes when compared to something like the k800. Except for the green line, and the keypad sticking out, this could actually be a black w810.

Now there's been a lot of arguments ignited by blunt comments stated on the looks of the k850. Some have said that it "looks fugly", whereas others have defended it saying it looks pretty. I'll let you be the judge.


source: http://www.newlaunches.com/entry_images/0607/15/Sonyericsson_K850_1.jpg

source: http://www.newlaunches.com/entry_images/0607/15/Sonyericsson_K850_5.jpg

It has 40mb of built-in memory and a Micro SD card slot. Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't other Sony Ericssons use memory cards too? Oh, wait, they use sony's proprietary Memory Stick Pro Duo. Now, this could be a nice move for the consumer; according to Future Shop prices, micro SD cards cost $20 less than a memory stick duo card (I compared 1gb versions of both). And you can thank Sandisk, because they just pumped out a 4gb micro SD card (which Future Shop doesn't happen to be selling). Nothing revolutionary, yet.

Its keypad has transformed into one similar to the next generation Sony Ericssons (eurgh, I swear I've seen this before! maybe I haven't..).

Then we move on to the menu; the main navigator you will mainly see and possibly get sick of. Now, I've really gotten sick of the standard Sony Ericsson menu, and I'm really looking into getting a phone with a flash menu. "Does the k850 have a flash menu?" I remember asking myself. And then I saw this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnBTD-Dxm1M

All I can bring myself to say is....niiiiiiice.

And, then we bring ourselves to the last and best feature of the phone: the 5 megapixel camera. Now, speaking for North Americans, the most standard camera phone has around 2 megapixels nowadays. The k790/k800 recently took the cake with its 3.2 megapixel camera. But now, the k850 definitely smashes them both with a 5 megapixel camera! It has a video resolution of 320*240, whereas the k800 has a 177*144 video resolution. What a leap.

So, I can't really call the k850 a revolution, especially when things like the Wii and iPhone exist and have recently debuted. Sure, it has a hell of a camera and a nice flash menu, but what else is there that another Sony Ericsson can't match?

Yet, it's still in its initial stages. Perhaps, I might change my mind about it one day. Perhaps.

By the way, if I've made any mistakes, please feel free to correct me. I don't want to be a misinformed source of information.






No comments: